Design with Accessibility in Mind
It's important when creating a document to keep accessibility in mind as it's more difficult to apply after it's been converted to a PDF. Use the following instructions to create documents that can be read and comprehended by everyone.
Learn how to apply styles which increases the readability and functionality of a document, and additional techniques that make Word documents accessible, using the following resources:
- Create Accessible Word Documents Quick Reference Card by Microsoft
- Create Accessible Word 2012 Documents Online Tutorial by Microsoft
- Making Word Documents Accessible handout by Fresno State
- Microsoft Word Accessibility Guide by WebAIM
- Create Accessible Word Documents Guide by Microsoft
It's important to add a textual description of images, charts and graphs using the alternate text option. Use the guides below to learn how to add alternative text and make PowerPoint presentations accessible:
For those who cannot perceive color or pictures, a detailed description of the concept is necessary. Use the guides below to learn how to make the contents of a spreadsheet accessible:
- Creating Accessible Excel files by Microsoft
- Excel Accessibility Best Practices by University of Minnesota
Learn how to apply accessibility standards when creating an Adobe InDesign file using the following resources:
Adobe TV Training Videos
- Preparing Accessible PDFs with Adobe InDesign CS5.5: (Part 1) - new accessibility features in Adobe InDesign CS5.5
- Preparing Accessible PDFs with Adobe InDesign CS5.5: (Part 2) - discusses exporting and finalizing the PDF
- Preparing InDesign CS5 Files for Accessibility - for those still using Adobe InDesign CS5
Converting your document to PDF?
Use the following guides to ensure the accessibility of your document when converting it to the PDF file format.
- WebAIM's Converting Documents to PDF Article
- Microsoft Office 2010 and 2013 Accessibility Checker
- Adobe XI Professional Accessibility Checker (PDF)
- Adobe X Professional Accessibility Checker (PDF)
- PDF Accessibility Checker (PAC) freeware for Windows
Want to Learn More?
- Adobe's Accessibility Training resources
- Cal Poly's Best Practices for Creating Microsoft Office Documents
Contact us at (573)884-2828 to schedule an appointment.